Monday, September 15, 2008

La Guernica

LA GUERNICA:

I chose the portrait of "La Guernica" by Pablo Picasso because it is the picture that appealed to me the most! =)

La Guernica let me apply some of Molly Bang's ideas of pictures. First, there is a sense of fear and a "not-so-safe" vibe coming from the portrait itself because of how dark the background is and all the colors in it are dark blue hues. I noticed that the horses trampling around are dark, and the people are a lighter color, making it seem that the horses are meant to be feared and dangerous. The people in agony and fear are a lighter color representing innocence.

Second, I would like to point out the fact that the center of the picture is where there is the most commotion, with the horse trampling the man on the floor... On the top half of the picture there is what I thought was a light bulb shedding out light, signalizing hope or a greater spiritual power watching over all this commotion on the bottom!

Lastly, the jaggedness and abstraction of the shapes of the horses and people give the portrait a sense of anxiety, sorrow and fear. There's a woman on the left of the painting that is holding what looks like a dead child. There is sorrow on her face, the way she is looking up to the horse (or even the sky)!

Overall, I liked the "La Guernica" the most to apply Molly Bang's ideas of how we look at pictures!

No comments: