So far, reading American Born Chinese has been a good read (as far as comics go for me!) I like how there are 3 stories we're reading about and how they are different and interesting in their own way.
* A panel I chose was for "The Monkey King" story, are on pages 17 and 18. These panels interested me because you can tell just by looking at the pictures that the monkey is beating up the "gods" and causing some major chaos! The words "Smak!" and "Krash!" on page 17 signify pain and loud noises of a fight. Along with these words on page 17 the author drew stars all around the god's heads, which signifies being "knocked out silly", giving the reader (me in this case!) a sense of confusion and unexpectedness of the monkey beating them all up! Next, on page 18, as the monkey continues to fight, you see the jagged lines that look like lightning coming out from the monkey's fist as he is punching a god. From McCloud's text, these lines mean the kind of power these lines represent. As I was reading page 18, I could tell that these jagged lines signify anger and power as far as the monkey's anger and fighting goes. Along with the jagged lines, there were more words on the two panels, "KRAK!" and "BOOM"! This makes me think the fight is noisy and chaotic!
Neil Gaiman 11/19
17 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment