Monday, September 8, 2008

In-Class Writing #1

What is an American?

I think an American is a person that is in cue with themselves to believe that they live in a free country and have free will to do what they want in life. Besides being loyal to your family, friends, and anything else you may believe in, you are also loyal to your country. By being loyal to your country I don't mean that, for example, you have to join any branch of the military. By being loyal to your country you should know what goes on in it. Whether it's politics, or gas prices going up, or our economy, or our "GO GREEN!" type of lifestyles emerging, being conscious of these problems make you a loyal American. You know what is going on in your country, and you have a choice whether you want to take part in changing it, or sit back and live your life how it is. Apart from being loyal you do have choices! Secondly I think an American is someone that has choices and opportunities. You can choose what you want to do in your life. You have the choices and opportunities to go to college, and get a job, or take over your family's business if you're not interested in college! There's a lot you can achieve in our country with loyalty, opportunity and choices.

2 comments:

Casey McCarthy said...

I definitely agree that being an American has a lot to do with loyalty to your country. If you are not loyal to the place you live and the people you live there with, than what good are you doing for our nation? Basically, I think this was a very good point and to me it is one of the most important aspects that defines an American.

Sarah said...

I really like your take on the question. I agree that is important for Americans to be aware of the current issues in the country. One of the biggest benefits of being an American is the freedom to chose what you want to think, participate in, and believe.