Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Blankets...In Class Blog 3 Panels

I liked the panels on page 57, 58, 59 and 60 on Craig Thompson's, "BLANKETS".

As Craig is reading the bible, he comes to a halt and decides that his drawings (which is his method of "Escapism" along with dreaming), are a distraction to his bible studies in his life. He then decides to burn them all and he goes through this torture of trying to rid his memories with his drawings. At the bottom on page 59, Craig looks like he is in a state of torture, almost like a demonic exercism, of Craig's memories and love for art and drawing coming out of him. It leaves him looking like he has lost a big part of himself. On the panel on page 60, I continue to see this inner torture as it "leaves his body".

I think Thompson's book converstaes with Jeannette Winterson's "Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit" through both characters wanting two things at the same time but one is apparently evil and the other is good. For Jeannette, she was torn between God and being a lesbian and dealing with her relationships with Melanie and Katy. With Craig, I tihnk he is torn between God and his passion for art.

No comments: